Find places to visit in Britain by name, location, type of attraction, or other keyword.
This listings directory of over 950 entries is being phased out, to be replaced with ‘Places’. You may find what you are looking for there.
Tap/Click ‘find listings’ for a detailed search – or just have a browse.Â
The formidable looking Chepstow Castle dates from 1067 - building began less than a year after William the Conqueror became king. It was constructed in stone from the very start - not wood, as was the case with many Norman castles, in a strategic position overlooking an established crossing point over the River Wye. Building continued through its life right up to the 17th century. It was besieged twice during the English Civil War, eventually falling to Parliamentary troops. By the 18th century, Chepstow Castle was in a state of decay and becoming a tourist attraction.
Chirk Castle is a picture-book medieval fortress as well as a sumptuous home, with wonderful gardens and a spectacular wrought-iron entrance gate. Roger Mortimer, Marcher Lord, began the castle in 1295 as one of King Edward I's chain of castles along the Welsh/English border. Since 1595 until 1981, it was owned by the Myddleton family - who only moved out and sold the rest of the estate in the 21st century. From 1910-1946, it was leased to Lord Howard de Walden and was scene of lavish entertaining in the 1930s.
Cilgerran Castle lies beyond some village cottages on a rocky promontory, overlooking the Teifi Gorge. It is a strategic position, thought to be first fortified by the Norman, Gerald of Windsor, in 1108. It was captured by the Welsh in 1164, retaken by William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, in 1204, recaptured by the Welsh during Llywelyn the Great's campaigns in 1215, but was back in English hands in 1223 when William Marshal’s son, also William, built a stone castle on the site. It is reckoned to have been in a largely ruinous state by 1405.
It has been suggested that Cilgerran Castle is the site of Cenarth Bychan castle, from which Gerald of Windsor’s beautiful wife, Nest, daughter of Rhys ap Tewdwr, was abducted by her admirer, Owain ap Cadwgan, while Gerald escaped via the privy.
Today, the main ruins are of the inner ward, which includes two massive 13th century towers connected by a curtain wall. The outline of other buildings remains, though the outer defences are now under gardens and houses. One of many interesting features is a sally port in the side of the curtain wall, between the towers.
Cilgerran Castle is owned by the National Trust and looked after by Cadw.
Cilgerran
Corfe Castle dominates the village of the same name and both are very popular visitor attractions. Originally a Saxon stronghold, the present castle dates from the 11th century and was built in a commanding gap in the hills, guarding the entrance to Purbeck. It became a Royal fortress and has a dark and murderous past! In 1203, King John had 22 knights starved to death there – a hideous crime, even in the medieval England. Corfe Castle is also the supposed location of the murder of the teenage King Edward the Martyr many years before, in 978, allegedly done away with on the orders of his wicked step-mother. During the English Civil War, it was a Royalist stronghold which eventually fell to Parliamentary forces, who 'slighted' (partly demolished) it. This partly explains the ruinous state it is in today. Some believe Corfe was Enid Blyton's inspiration for Kirrin Castle in the 'Famous Five' books.
Corfe
The ruins of Criccieth Castle perch dramatically on a headland and tower over the small town of Criccieth. This was originally a Welsh castle, begun by Llywelyn the Great in the 13th century, but it was added to over time - and frequently changed hands between the Welsh and the English. It is dominated by an enormous gatehouse and, allegedly, the scorches made by the flames that finally destroyed it in the 15th century can still be seen on the stonework.
Deal Castle was built between 1539 and 1540, part of a massive construction programme of forts, blockhouses and other defences ordered by Henry VIII to protect England against possible French invasion. Unlike many castles of the past, these defences were not built for the benefit of an individual, but for the whole realm. More than 30 forts were eventually built, as well as other fortifications, to new designs. They were low-lying, to make them harder targets for artillery, and themselves were bristling with guns. In plan, Deal Castle resembles a Tudor rose: a circular keep from which six semi-circular bastions radiate, all gun platforms, with an outer curtain of a further six semi-circular bastions. There were openings for 140 guns and the whole thing was surrounded by a moat. Deal was also designed to work in partnership with neighbouring castles at Sandown and Walmer to protect the Down, a nearby area of sheltered sea between the shore and the treacherous Goodwin Sands.
Deal Castle was besieged in 1648 during the Civil War but, despite its position and Britain’s eventful history, saw no further action itself until a German bomb fell on it during the Second World War. In the 18th century, the keep’s upper floor was converted to provide comfortable accommodation for the Captain and his family. Thereafter, though garrisoned at times of national peril, its defensive function was reduced by domestic demands.
The castle was opened to the public in the 1960s and the Tudor defences can be appreciated, as well as the panelled unfurnished rooms of the Captain’s home and interesting exhibitions. It is an easy level walk of a couple of miles to Walmer Castle.
Deal
Dinas Bran Castle, or Castell Dinas Brân (Crow Castle in English), is a legendary ruined fortress built on the site of an Iron age hillfort. The medieval castle was probably built in the 1260s by Gruffudd ap Madog, Lord of Powys Fadog. However, to prevent it falling into English hands, the Welsh burned it to the ground shortly afterwards and, by 1282, it had been abandoned. Part of it was later used as a dwelling and it was apparently home to a Myfanwy Fychan in the 14th century, for whom the poet Hywel ap Einion Llygliw (c1330-1370) wrote a love poem - Myfanwy Fychan of Castell Dinas Brân. There are many legends and stories associated with Dinas Bran - it was the castle of Bran, hiding place of the Holy Grail - etc. The site is only accessible by foot and is about 1,000 feet (307m) above sea level.
Dinas Mawr promontory fort is reckoned to date from the Iron Age and was probably the stronghold of a clan leader. It is situated on the west of the Pencaer Peninsula, generally known as Strumble Head, jutting out into the Irish Sea. The location is stunning, but not for those of a nervous disposition, especially in bad weather. Dinas Mawr is accessible along the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path or via a footpath off a minor road. However, laymen will need to look for evidence of the fort. A ditch is clearly visible on the headland between what were stone ramparts and traces of at least one hut circle can be made out just inside the ramparts. Most of Dinas Mawr comprises a towering lump of rock, however, with severely restricted space for settlement to the east and the south of the crag; the top, surely, would have been too inhospitable. Immediately beyond Dinas Mawr is the islet of Ynys y Ddinas. Though a good defensive position, there is no fresh water and it is speculated whether the fort had some ceremonial or ritual purpose, for it cannot have been of much long-term use, or in the event of a prolonged siege.
Goodwick
With a dramatic background and probably built by Llywelyn ab Iorwerth ('the Great') early in the thirteenth century, the ruins of Dolbadarn Castle are dominated by a massive round-towered keep, still standing up to 50 feet (15.2m) high, with walls up to 8 feet (2.4m) thick. Access to the keep was via a removable staircase at first floor level. The castle occupies a strategic location guarding the Llanberis Pass and was seized by an English army under the Earl of Pembroke in 1282, following which it was abandoned and pillaged for building materials. It is possible it was used again during the revolt under Owain Glyndwr in the late 14th/early 15th century.
Often described as 'The Key to England', Dover Castle is the largest castle in England and dates from 11th century, though there was probably an Iron Age fort on the site and the complex includes a Roman lighthouse and Saxon church. The fortress was garrisoned until 1958 and offers a unique insight into Britain's history. A medieval court has been recreated inside the Great Tower. Underneath the castle, deep inside the famous White Cliff, are tunnels which date from medieval times. During WW2, these were the HQ for the control of Operation Dynamo, the evacuation of Dunkirk, and there are vivid displays illustrating this. There is an underground hospital to visit too, and a WW1 signal station. Dover Castle has appeared in several film/TV productions, including 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and 'Wolf Hall'.
Dover
If your favourite attraction is not listed yet, and you have a good quality digital photograph of it that you are able to freely send, please get in touch.Â
Share this:
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- More
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Threads (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on X (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Bluesky (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)