Guidelines for guest posting
A Bit About Britain is very happy to consider requests for guest posts, usually on a reciprocal basis. Before you get in touch, please explore A Bit About Britain to familiarise yourself with the type of content that may fit, and have a look at the article guidelines below.
- Articles should be somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 words in length, plus appropriate photographs, illustrations or maps.
- The suggested material must obviously have a British theme, be entirely original and not previously published anywhere else, though it could subsequently be published on your own website or blog (within a reasonable timeframe).
- The images must either be yours/original or approved for use/in the public domain and of good quality. Original photographs should be in jpeg format, preferably not edited and ideally a minimum of 2000px width in landscape, or 1000px height portrait. They will be cropped and edited as appropriate for use on A Bit About Britain.
- A Bit About Britain aims to inspire, inform and entertain. Though accuracy is essential, this website is not the place for dry academic writing and references only need to be included when necessary (eg when quoting).
- It should go without saying (but I’ll say it anyway) that your article needs to be in comprehensible English and proofed for the spelling and punctuation errors we all make before you submit it.
- The article will be linked back to your website or blog. Please make sure you provide the necessary URL. Links to additional articles, on A Bit about Britain, your site, or elsewhere, will be added to the article where it is felt this will illustrate a point, or provide readers with further information.
- Please include a brief author biography to be included at the bottom of the article.
- If your guest article is published on A Bit About Britain, the deal is that you make sure you share the news on social media, at the local supermarket (and so on), and that you respond to comments left on A Bit About Britain by its readers.
When you get in touch, please do so via the Contact Page and make sure you include:
- Your first and second names;
- Your email address;
- The URL for your own blog or website;
- Links to any additional articles/blog posts already published elsewhere;
- Confirmation of which social media (Twitter, Facebook etc) you use;
- Your suggestion(s) for articles you think might be suitable for A Bit About Britain;
- Confirmation of whether you would be happy to host an article from A Bit about Britain on your website/blog, and the sort of thing you are looking for.
Please allow at least 10 days for follow-up.