Last Updated on
This is the place to search for places and things of interest to visit in Britain, by name, location, type, keyword – or just have a browse. It is a growing directory – over 780 entries as of June 2020. Most entries have links for further information.
Enormous estate, once the seat of the Kennedy family, which includes woodland and seashore walks, a walled garden, large pond, various structures and follies in the grounds, an astonishing children's' adventure playground and the castle, perched on a clifftop. Actually, it's not really a castle, but a large stately house redesigned by Robert Adam and built between 1777 and 1792. The top floor was gifted to the Supreme Head of Allied Forces in Western Europe, later 34th President of the United States of America, Dwight D Eisenhower, to be used in his lifetime. It is now a hotel.
They say whisky was distilled at Morangie Farm since at least 1703. Glenmorangie's best selling malts, include The Original and the rich Quinta Ruban, are matured in white oak casks from Missouri and used to mature bourbon for 4 years before being shipped to Scotland. Glenmorangie is famous for its products allegedly being 'Perfected by the Sixteen Men of Tain' and its logo is based on a design from Pictish stone, the Hilton of Cadboll Stone, discovered nearby on the Tarbet Peninsula, Easter Ross. Various tours of the distillery are available and it is always advisable to book.
Eilean Donan simply means 'Donan's Island' - Donan was a Celtic saint who is said to have built a church there. The castle was built in the 13th century and was the stronghold of the Mackenzie clan and their Macrae allies. The Mackenzies were Jacobites and the castle was destroyed by a force of three government ships in the 18th century. What we see now is a romantic 20th century reconstruction. Eilean Donan Castle is one of the most photographed castles in Britain.
This was the ancestral stronghold of the Menzies clan from the 16th - 19th centuries. It was occupied by Jacobite rebels in 1715 and 1745 and, in 1746, Charles Edward Stuart - Bonnie Prince Charlie - the Young Pretender - stayed at Castle Menzies on his way to defeat at Culloden. 4 days later, the Duke of Cumberland, commander of the Government forces in hot pursuit of the rebels, stopped by too.
In 1957, the castle was purchased as a ruin for just £300 by the Menzies Clan Society who have proceeded to, very gradually, restore it. It is somewhere between a mansion and a fortress. It has a walled garden too, though the website suggests this may not be particularly well kept. It is also possible to visit the Old Kirk of Weem - the Menzies Mausoleum - in the nearby village of Weem.
Queen's View may be named for Queen Victoria, Robert the Bruce's first wife Isabella of Mar, or - no one knows! It is a stunning view of Loch Tummel, part of the Tay Forest Park and beyond to the truly mountain-shaped mountain, Schiehallion. There is parking (pay and display), a visitor centre, cafe and toilets. Many walks nearby - or just stop for the view and a coffee.
Scone Palace stands on a site of enormous historical significance. It was at the heart of the ancient Kingdom of the Picts, a meeting place, and traditionally where the kings of Scotland have been crowned, on the sacred Stone of Scone - stolen by King Edward I in 1296 and returned to Scotland in 1996 (it is now in Edinburgh Castle). The Moot Hill where kings were declared and crowned is opposite the palace, which is mainly 19th century, built near the site of the medieval Abbey of Scone - which itself replaced an early Christian church. The Palace contains an impressive collection which includes furniture gifted by Mary Antoinette, bed-hangings embroidered by Mary, Queen of Scots and rare porcelain and ivory. A particular feature is the painting of Dido Belle, whose mother was a slave, and her cousin, Lady Elizabeth Murray. The long gallery is where Charles II processed to his coronation and where Queen Victoria watched curling. In the 100 acre grounds are walks, gardens and a maze. Regular events are held. Scone Palace has been home to the Murrays, later the Earls of Mansfield, since 1600.
Crannogs were circular dwellings built in and above water. They were in use as recently as the 17th century but date back to around 3,000 BC and their remains have been found throughout Scotland and Ireland. The remains of more than 20 have been found in Loch Tay - the reason for the concentration is unknown, though it was possibly a trade route. The Scottish Crannog Centre is a museum that includes a reconstructed crannog based on one excavated nearby and dating from 2,500 BC. It consists of a roundhouse supported on 168 timber piles driven into the loch bed and connected to the shore by means of a 20 M long timber bridge. As well as the crannog and the museum, there are reconstructions and displays showing how crannog dwellers lived and worked.
Named for the mountain Cairn Gorm, the Cairngorm National Park in North East Scotland is Britain’s largest - twice as big as the Lake District - and most remote. Though famed for its mountains, it is actually a diverse area of area of 1748 square miles which includes castles, distilleries and a whole lot more - as well as being home to some of Britain's rarest animals. And it is one of the few places in the UK that offers skiing on real snow.
Lochindorb Castle is known as the Lair of the Wolf of Badenoch. It was built in the 13th century on a partly artificial island on the loch, when it was a stronghold of the Comyns. Later, the castle was occupied by the English and it was visited by Edward I in 1303. For awhile, it was used as a prison. At the end of the 14th century, it was gifted by King Robert II to his third son, Alexander Stewart, the Earl of Buchan - the Wolf of Badenoch.
Lochindorb is located about 6.5 miles north of Grantown-on-Spey on minor roads between the B9007 and the A939. You will need a car or bike to get there. The castle can only be reached by boat; so you'll need to find one of those too.
Sueno's Stone is a 23 feet (7 metre) high Pictish sandstone block, intricately carved with unique imagery, dating from the mid 9th or early 10th century. The carvings include an elaborate battle scene, which may be a record of a real event. Sueno's Stone is encased in glass and located near a residential estate off the A96, possibly in its original position overlooking the floodplain of the Mosset Burn and River Findhorn.