Last Updated on
This is the place to search for places and things of interest to visit in Britain, by name, location, type, keyword – or just have a browse. It is a growing directory – 700+ entries as of October 2019. Most entries have links for further information.
The ruins of Ruthven Barracks stand on a huge mound. They were built on the site of an earlier castle by George II’s government in the early 1700s, after the failed Jacobite uprising of 1715. The troops stationed there were to maintain law and order and enforce the Disarming Act of 1716. The barracks saw action twice. A 300-strong Jacobite attack failed to take the barracks in 1745, but a more heavily-armed attack the next year forced the barracks’ surrender. The Jacobites rallied here after their defeat at Culloden in 1746.
The Highland Wildlife Park is a zoo situated in the beauty of the Cairngorm National Park. Originally, the park used to only contain species that were native to, or which had once been native to, the Highlands. This scope has widened, presumably in an effort to increase visitor numbers. So as well as wolves, wildcats and arctic foxes, you can now see tigers and red pandas. There is a large drive-through reserve area, plus a woodland walk and events take place throughout the year. Try to get there for feeding time.
Managed by the Royal Zoological Society of Scotland. Irritating website!
Dun da Lamh (pronounced ‘doon da larve’) is a prehistoric, believed to be early Pictish, hilltop fort near Laggan in the Highlands. It sits on Black Craig, 1484 feet above sea level and 600 feet above the land below, overlooking the River Spey to the north. The fort is approximately 360 feet (110 metres) long by about 98-246 feet (30 and 75 metres) wide. Inside are shelters, believed to have been constructed by the Home Guard during WW2.
The fort’s sole defence is a stone wall, which has been cleared in places. It is constructed of fine quality stone slabs resembling bricks totalling an estimated 5000 tons which are not from the local valley. It has been skilfully made. The fort is so steep on three sides as to be impregnable and is only approachable from the west where the walls are over 20 feet thick. Dun da Lamh means ‘fort of the two hands’. The plaque on the site asks was it a frontier fortress of a great Pictish nation guarding the farmlands to the north and east; or was it something else?
Dun da Lamh can only be reached by foot and it is a strenuous walk for which you should dress appropriately and allow a couple of hours each way, depending on conditions and fitness. There are a variety of starting points, including a way-marked route from Laggan Wolftrax (as per postcode). Others suggest starting from the car park opposite the Pattack Falls Forestry Commission Car Park off the A86.
A stone marks the spot claimed to be the centre of Scotland. It is on the Glen Truim road, between the A889 and the A9, part of the 250 mile network of military roads built for the Government by General Wade after the Jacobite rising of 1715. This section was built in 1719 and is a section of the road between Fort Augustus and Ruthven Barracks at Kingussie. The stone replaces an earlier marker and was unveiled on 5th June 2015.
Post code is approximate.
The Macpherson monument is a cairn erected in 1996 to the memory of Ewan Macpherson of Cluny (1706-64), who was colonel of the local Badenoch men in the '45 rising. He was at Derby with Bonnie Prince Charlie, the skirmish at Clifton (reckoned by some to be the last battle on English soil) and the Battle of Falkirk. In the awful aftermath of the Battle of Culloden, he spent nine years on the run from the government, sometimes hiding in a cave, eventually escaping to France. He was chief of the clan from 1746 until his death in Dunkirk. The monument stand in site of Creag Dhubh (black rock), a 2350 foot high mountain, which was also Clan Macpherson's war cry. At the bottom of the commemorative plaque is the Macpherson clan motto, "Na Bean Don Chat Gun Làmhainn", "Touch Not The Cat But A Glove", sometimes rendered as "Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove". 'Bot' means without. The reference is to a wildcat and the wildcat's 'glove' is its pad. The ungloved cat has its vicious claws out. So, the motto is (apparently) a warning not to tangle with the violent Macphersons. Macpherson, by the way, means 'son of the parson'; they breed tough parsons in the Highlands.
Post code is approximate.
Highland Folk Museum is an open air museum dedicated to living and working in the Highlands from the 1700s to the 1960s. Social history is brought to life on a mile-long site which includes more than 30 fascinating heritage buildings at one end, many of which have been carefully moved from their original locations, and a completely reconstructed 1700s township at the other. The museum has featured in several film/TV productions, including Outlander. There is a play area and cafe. Also on site is ‘Am Fasgadh’, which holds some 10,000 artefacts and includes a research library, conservation laboratory and conference facilities.
Scone Palace stands on a site of enormous historical significance. It was at the heart of the ancient Kingdom of the Picts, a meeting place, and traditionally where the kings of Scotland have been crowned, on the sacred Stone of Scone - stolen by King Edward I in 1296 and returned to Scotland in 1996 (it is now in Edinburgh Castle). The Moot Hill where kings were declared and crowned is opposite the palace, which is mainly 19th century, built near the site of the medieval Abbey of Scone - which itself replaced an early Christian church. The Palace contains an impressive collection which includes furniture gifted by Mary Antoinette, bed-hangings embroidered by Mary, Queen of Scots and rare porcelain and ivory. A particular feature is the painting of Dido Belle, whose mother was a slave, and her cousin, Lady Elizabeth Murray. The long gallery is where Charles II processed to his coronation and where Queen Victoria watched curling. In the 100 acre grounds are walks, gardens and a maze. Regular events are held. Scone Palace has been home to the Murrays, later the Earls of Mansfield, since 1600.
Dalwhinnie Distillery is located within the Cairngorm National Park and said to be the highest distillery in Scotland. The name 'Dalwhinnie' is derived from the Gaelic for 'meeting place', where cattle drovers would gather in days gone by. Dalwhinnie's 15-year old single malt is allegedly known for its gentle flavours accentuated with notes of heather honey, citrus, vanilla and sweet malt. You can sample this at a tasting, or at the end of a tour to see how it is made, accompanied by a handmade chocolate. Dalwhinnie Distillery tours are renowned for the friendliness and expertise of the guides. It is always advisable to book before making a special trip.
Dalwhinnie is part of the massive Diageo group, whose other whisky brands include Cragganmore, Glenkinchie, Lagavulin, Oban and Talisker. According to Wikipedia, Dalwhinnie village is one of the coldest inhabited places in Britain; bear that in mind if you decide to visit in winter.
Queen's View may be named for Queen Victoria, Robert the Bruce's first wife Isabella of Mar, or - no one knows! It is a stunning view of Loch Tummel, part of the Tay Forest Park and beyond to the truly mountain-shaped mountain, Schiehallion. There is parking (pay and display), a visitor centre, cafe and toilets. Many walks nearby - or just stop for the view and a coffee.