Last Updated on
This is the place to search for places and things of interest to visit in Britain, by name, location, type, keyword – or just have a browse. It is a growing directory – over 750 entries as of February 2020. Most entries have links for further information.
The remote site of where, on 13th June 1652, George Fox preached to a thousand people and launched the Quaker movement, the Society of Friends. There is a memorial tablet on the rock, which is situated next to the site of a chapel and abandoned graveyard.
Post code is for nearby Newfield Farm and for guidance only.
St Nicholas Moreton is world famous for the unusual engraved glass windows by Laurence Whistler and for the grave of Lawrence of Arabia (soldier-philosopher T E Lawrence) in the nearby cemetery, following his funeral in the church. The church was originally dedicated to St Magnus Martyr, Earl of Orkney (why?), but this was changed to St. Nicholas in 1490. A German bomb on 8 October 1940 extensively damaged the church, blowing out all the glass. Created as part of the refurbishment following the war, the 13 engraved glass windows (1955-85) are by Sir Laurence Whistler, who revived glass engraving in the 20th century. Lawrence of Arabia had a bolt-hole at Clouds Hill nearby and was killed on his motorcycle just along the road from it in 1935.
Southsea’s D-Day Memorial is situated close to its Canoe Lake and South Parade Pier. It resembles a tank trap, thousands of which were placed around Britain’s coast in the Second World War as part of its defence against invasion. It was almost another world; the seafront was closed off from 1943 to all without a special pass and the beach was covered with barbed wire for the duration. It is hard to imagine that thousands of troops boarded landing craft from South Parade Pier – additional, temporary, piers were built from scaffolding alongside to speed up the embarkation process – as well as from the Camber on Old Portsmouth, Portsmouth Harbour Station and what is now Portsmouth International Port. Portsmouth was the main departure point for units going to Sword Beach in Normandy. Local people watched them march through the city, undoubtedly wondering how many would return safely. 27 men from Southsea were killed on D-Day and during the Normandy campaign.
The memorial looks its age. It was unveiled by Field Marshal the Rt Hon Viscount Montgomery of Alamein on 6 June 1948.
Also known as Clayhall Royal Naval Cemetery, this is the final resting place for some 1500 British sailors. It opened in 1859 and was the official cemetery for the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, which once stood nearby. For some time, the route between the hospital and the cemetery was playfully labelled known as ‘Dead Man’s Lane’ due to the high number of funeral processions from the former to the latter. There are graves from both world wars here, as well as the graves of the men of the submarine “L55”, sunk by the Soviets in the Baltic in 1919. In one corner of the cemetery are the graves of 26 Turkish sailors.
On the seafront and overlooking Southsea common, Portsmouth Naval Memorial commemorates nearly 10,000 British and Commonwealth sailors of the First World War and almost 15,000 of the Second World War, whose only grave is the sea. After WW1, the Admiralty recommended that the three great Royal Navy ports of Chatham, Plymouth and Portsmouth should each have an identical memorial of unmistakable naval form, an obelisk, which would serve as a leading mark for shipping. Portsmouth's memorial was unveiled by the Duke of York, later King George VI, on 15 October 1924. The Second World War extension was unveiled by his widow, the Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, on 29 April 1953.
Iron-clad (originally stone) memorial commemorating the alleged spot where King William II ("Rufus") was killed by an arrow, allegedly by accident, in 1100.
You must be on the A31 eastbound - it is a small turning between Stoney Cross and Cadnum. There is some parking. Post code is approximate.
Fragrant and colourful rose garden residing inside what was one "Lump's Fort", a fortification dating back to the 19th century, at least. In 1942, this was where the 'boom patrol', aka 'the Cockleshell Heroes' trained. There is a memorial plaque to them at the entrance to the garden.