Last Updated on
This is the place to search for places and things of interest to visit in Britain, by name, location, type, keyword – or just have a browse. It is a growing directory – over 750 entries as of February 2020. Most entries have links for further information.
BURTON in LONSDALE CASTLE
Burton in Lonsdale is a small village at the western edge of North Yorkshire, close to the borders with Lancashire and Cumbria. Its castle, locally known simply as Castle Hill, looks like a classic motte and bailey affair. It is a large and imposing site, sitting on the outskirts of the village next to the Victorian church and would have dominated the route alongside the river Greta from Hornby (Lancaster) to Ingleton. The motte is some 9.6m higher than the surrounding fields and retains a breastwork wall around the upper part of the mound. A nearly square bailey lies on the west side of the motte and a second semi-lunar bailey is to the south. There are remains of both the outer defensive ditch and a counterscarp bank outside this. Excavations carried out in 1904 suggested that the castle site began as a ringwork in the 12th century and was converted into a motte some time later. Possibly, the castle was built to help secure the supply route to the recently established Norman castle at Carlisle. The castle appears to have been ‘paved’ – ie covered in stones, which would have made it look really impressive. However, based on the finds uncovered in 1904, it has also been suggested that the site might have been originally prehistoric. So it’s all very uncertain. We don’t know who built the castle. Just before the Norman Conquest, Burton was part of the manor of Whittington and owned by Tostig – who was slain at the Battle of Stamford Bridge. William I granted the land to his followers, who became the de Mowbray family. Burton Castle was used as a centre of administration for their surrounding lands which included large swathes of North West Yorkshire and Lancashire, but the site went out of use in the mid-14th century. Accounts of 1130 refer to expenses at ‘de castro de Burtona de Lanesdala’ for payment of a ‘militis’ (knight), 10 ‘servientes’ (sergeants), a ‘janitoris’ (gatekeeper) and a ‘vigil’(watchman) This is the earliest mention of a castle in the village.
The site can be viewed from the road but is on private land and not generally accessible to the public.