Last Updated on
The ruins of the Augustinian Priory of St Leonard, founded in 12th century and suppressed in 1535. A timber-framed house was built on the site - no trace of this remains. The future King Charles II hid briefly at White Ladies Priory whilst trying to evade Parliamentary forces following his defeat at the Battle of Worcester in 1651.
The easiest way to find this property is to follow the path from Boscobel House.
Lichfield Cathedral is the only 3-spired medieval cathedral in England; its spires have long been known as 'the Ladies of the Vale'. Founded by Chad in the 7th century (and dedicated to him and St Mary) the present Gothic building largely took shape between the 12th and 14th centuries. It was particularly badly damaged during the Civil War - canon balls destroyed parts and wrecked others - but subsequently restored. Lichfield Cathedral is the repository for the 8th century Chad Gospels and also home to the Lichfield Angel, a piece of Anglo-Saxon carving discovered during building work. Among the many other treasures to be seen is the marble memorial 'Sleeping Children', which is particularly evocative.
Memorial in a peaceful woodland clearing to the than 4,500 Polish men murdered by the Soviet Union’s security police in Katyn Forest, near Smolensk, in 1940. The mass graves were uncovered by the Nazis in 1943. The victims, many of them with bound hands and still with their identity papers on them, had been shot in the back of the head. This memorial was unveiled in 1979 and is one of several memorials in the UK and around the world to the massacre at Katyn. It is about half a mile from the Commonwealth War Grave and German cemeteries.
Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery contains almost 5,000 German and Austrian graves. Following an agreement between the UK and the Federal Republic of Germany in 1959, the German War Graves Commission (Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgraberfursorge) made arrangements to transfer the graves of German servicemen and civilians who had died in Britain during World Wars 1 and 2 from scattered burial grounds to a new cemetery established at Cannock Chase.
Follow the signs for Cannock Chase War Cemetery signposted from the A34 when travelling from either Cannock or Stafford. The German cemetery is immediately behind the CWGC one.
During the First World War, there was a large military camp at Cannock Chase which became the base for the New Zealand Rifle Brigade. There was also a prisoner-of-war hospital with 1,000 beds, and both camp and hospital used the burial ground. Cannock Chase War Cemetery contains 97 Commonwealth burials of the First World War, most of them New Zealanders, and 286 German burials. There are also three burials of the Second World War.
Cannock Chase War Cemetery is signposted from the A34 when travelling from either Cannock or Stafford.
It may come as a surprise that one of - if not the - finest Baroque churches in Britain is not in London, but in rural Worcestershire. It dates from 1735, replacing an earlier medieval parish church which stood a little way to the west. It was built by the then owners of neighbouring Witley Court, the Foleys, possibly for their convenience, but not as a private chapel; it has always been a parish church. In 1747, the interior was transformed by the installation of internal decoration from the chapel at Canons, Lord Chandos' Edgware palace - and the impact is astonishing. Dedicated to St Michael and All Angels, Great Witley Church also boasts the Foley Monument, at 26 feet (8 metres) reputed to be the tallest funerary monument in the country.
Not long ago, in the great scheme of things, Witley Court was a Palladian mansion with a staff of over 100 servants, where the great and the good - including the Prince of Wales (Later Edward VII) attended lavish parties. Jewellery was hung from Christmas trees for lady guests. In 1937, it was burnt to a shell in an accidental fire. Its ruins echo with the past and its ornate gardens, including two astonishing fountains, have been lovingly restored. The Perseus and Andromeda fountain, in particular, needs to be seen in action - it is 'fired up' at particular times. There are also woodland walks, lakeside views, places to picnic and a play area for kids.
The medieval Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Mary the Virgin, Worcester, perches beautifully over the river Severn. It was founded in the 7th century, rebuilt by St Oswald in the 10th century and the present building was begun by St Wulfstan in 1084. The Norman crypt is particularly worth seeing. Worcester Cathedral was badly damaged during the Civil War in the 17th century and has been subsequently restored, notably by the Victorians. It is the burial place of King John, Arthur Tudor, Prince of Wales (Henry VIII's older brother) and Stanley Baldwin, three times Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Blists Hill is an open air museum, recreating a Victorian town on an industrial site that included mines, blast furnaces and a section of the Shropshire Canal. Some of the buildings are original, others have been relocated and some are replicas. It's a 52 acre site. There's a fascinating range of things to see, from shops, a bank and public house, to industrial premises. Costumed staff keep the whole thing themed and there are various demonstrations and events etc. It's a good day out for all ages.
Blists Hill is one of 10 museums in the area run by the Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust.