Last Updated on
Clachan Bridge, popularly known as Atlantic Bridge, or the Bridge over the Atlantic, was built in 1792 and joins the Island of Seil with the mainland on the B844, about 10 miles south of Oban. Nearby is the Tigh an Truish Inn - the house of trousers. Seil is the most northerly of the slate isles.
Beautiful old cobbled bridge over the Doon, built in the 15th century. It features in the 1791 poem, 'Tam o' Shanter', when Tam gallops across the bridge on his horse, Meg, pursued by witches and warlocks. He escapes - but they grab Meg's tail! Combine with a visit to the Robert Burns' Monument, Museum, Alloway Old Kirk and his birthplace.
Kirkby Lonsdale’s Devil’s Bridge is a medieval structure with three graceful arches and is a scheduled ancient monument. It was replaced by Stanley Bridge as the main bridge carrying traffic over the River Lune along the main road (A65) between Kendal and Skipton in 1932 and is now a favourite with visitors – and weekend motorcyclists.
The John Rylands Library holds the special collections of the University of Manchester's library. The library was built by Enriqueta Rylands, the widow of wealthy industrialist John Rylands, who died in 1888. It is a fantastic neo-Gothic building, designed by Basil Champneys (with help from Mrs Rylands) and opened to the public in 1900. One of its first acquisitions was the 40,000 volume Spencer Collection, which includes about 3,000 early printed books - including a Gutenberg Bible. The library has undergone various refurbishments. Although a research library, it is one of the most popular visitor attractions in Manchester.
The British Library receives a copy of every publication produced in the UK and Ireland. In addition to books (including early printed books), the collection includes manuscripts, maps, newspapers, magazines, prints , drawings, music scores, patents, sound recordings and stamps. Particular treasures include Magna Carta, the Lindisfarne Gospels, Leonardo da Vinci's notebook, the first edition of The Times from 18 March 1788 and Beatles manuscripts. As well as being open for research, the Library holds free exhibitions and events.
The Houses of Parliament is the home of the UK Parliament and consists of two 'houses' - the Commons (elected) and Lords (unelected). It is possible to take a tour, even take tea, or watch a debate. Information about visiting can be found on the UK Parliament's website - link below.
The Houses of Parliament is situated on the site of Edward the Confessor's 11th century palace and is still known as 'the Palace of Westminster'. It has been the traditional home of the English parliament since medieval times and much of the UK's parliamentary democracy developed here. However, most of the current building dates from the 19th century and was designed by Charles Barry, following a disastrous fire in 1834 that destroyed most of the old palace. The oldest building on the site is the magnificent Westminster Hall, which has witnessed 900 years of British history.
Originally a fresh food market dating back to the 14th century, Leadenhall Market stands at the centre of what was Roman London. It was redeveloped into an ornate iron and glass arcade building in 1881 and, with its distinctive red, gold and green colour scheme it is a site in its own right. It contains a variety of pubs, cafes and restaurants, as well as several high-end specialist shops. Leadenhall Market famously featured in the film, 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'.
The original Temple Bar marked the boundary between the old City of London and the royal area of Westminster. A gate was built there, but this was removed in the 19th century for road widening. The spot is now marked by a Victorian memorial in the middle of the Strand/Fleet Street, close to the Royal Courts of Justice. Temple Bar Gate, after a period of decorating a country house in Hertfordshire, is now in the south-east corner of Paternoster Square, next to St Paul's Cathedral (EC4). The featured article will give you the full story, more or less.
Post code is approximate for the memorial at Temple Bar.
Tower Bridge, often confused with London Bridge, is one of the capital's iconic landmarks, known all over the world. It was built between 1886 and 1994 and connects Southwark on the south bank of the Thames with Tower Hamlets on the north, on the eastern edge of the City of London close by the Tower of London. Visitors can tour the Victorian engine rooms, see an exhibition of the bridge's history and even cross a glass walkway 138 feet (42 metres) above the river. Private tours are also available.