Last Updated on
Originally a fresh food market dating back to the 14th century, Leadenhall Market stands at the centre of what was Roman London. It was redeveloped into an ornate iron and glass arcade building in 1881 and, with its distinctive red, gold and green colour scheme it is a site in its own right. It contains a variety of pubs, cafes and restaurants, as well as several high-end specialist shops. Leadenhall Market famously featured in the film, 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'.
Scotland's Parliament was dissolved with the Act of Union between Scotland and England in 1707; there would be just one parliament, in Westminster. The Scotland Act of 1998 re-established a Scottish parliament, with certain devolved domestic powers, and it was decided that a new building was needed for it to meet in. The result was the Scottish Parliament Building, one of the most controversial government projects ever undertaken in the United Kingdom. Completion was more than three years late and, at a cost of £414.4 million, it was 10 times over budget. Many consider it ugly, at least externally, but it is interesting to visit and the debating chamber makes more sense than those at Westminster.
The battle was fought on 11 September 1297. Following Scots support for the French, Edward I of England invaded Scotland, deposed the King, John Balliol and left an army of occupation. Sir William Wallace and Sir Andrew Moray led a rebellion and met an English army outside Stirling. The English advanced over a narrow bridge over the River Forth. The Scots fell upon the English from the high ground on Abbey Craig, cutting the invading army in two. The English commander, the Earl of Surrey, could not reinforce because of the narrowness of the bridge. The portion of his forces that had crossed the bridge were cut down, though some of managed to escape by swimming back across the river. The Scottish victory destroyed the myth of English invincibility. Legend has it that the hated English treasurer, Hugh de Cressingham, was flayed after the battle and that Wallace made a belt from the skin.
The actual bridge of the battle was destroyed at the time. The current 'old' bridge was built downstream of it in the 16th century and is still in use by pedestrians. There is a plaque on the east end of the bridge, with a small portion of meadow adjacent, but it is thought that most of the fighting took place on ground that is now built over. It's a nice bridge, though. Post code is very approximate.
A lovely Tudor town hall, dating from c1550, and a symbol of Aldeburgh's prosperity at the time. The ground floor would have been occupied by shops, with meetings taking place on the first floor. Greatly restored in Victorian times, it now houses a good local museum. The building would once have been more at the centre of town - now it is close to the beach, an indication of shoreline erosion in this part of the UK.
Beautiful old cobbled bridge over the Doon, built in the 15th century. It features in the 1791 poem, 'Tam o' Shanter', when Tam gallops across the bridge on his horse, Meg, pursued by witches and warlocks. He escapes - but they grab Meg's tail! Combine with a visit to the Robert Burns' Monument, Museum, Alloway Old Kirk and his birthplace.
Kirkby Lonsdale’s Devil’s Bridge is a medieval structure with three graceful arches and is a scheduled ancient monument. It was replaced by Stanley Bridge as the main bridge carrying traffic over the River Lune along the main road (A65) between Kendal and Skipton in 1932 and is now a favourite with visitors – and weekend motorcyclists.
The John Rylands Library holds the special collections of the University of Manchester's library. The library was built by Enriqueta Rylands, the widow of wealthy industrialist John Rylands, who died in 1888. It is a fantastic neo-Gothic building, designed by Basil Champneys (with help from Mrs Rylands) and opened to the public in 1900. One of its first acquisitions was the 40,000 volume Spencer Collection, which includes about 3,000 early printed books - including a Gutenberg Bible. The library has undergone various refurbishments. Although a research library, it is one of the most popular visitor attractions in Manchester.
An iconic symbol of Newcastle upon Tyne, the Tyne Bridge was designed by Mott, Hay and Anderson and built by the same company that later built Sydney Harbour Bridge, Dorman Long and Co. The Tyne Bridge was opened by King George V on 10th October 1928; it carries the A167 road across the river Tyne between Gateshead and Newcastle.
Flint-covered remains of a 15th century merchant's house, with a fine brick-vaulted undercroft. It later became the guildhall for local fish merchants. Worth seeing if you're in town; it's just by the quayside.
English Heritage property managed by Blakeney Parish Council.