Last Updated on
This is the place to search for places and things of interest to visit in Britain, by name, location, type, keyword – or just have a browse. It is a growing directory – 700+ entries as of October 2019. Most entries have links for further information.
Roman Dere Street once crossed the river Tees at the modern village of Piercebridge. The remains of the Romans' first bridge, a little downstream from the current one, can be seen; park in the car park of the George Inn and take a footpath at the far end. Most of the Roman fort that stood here in the 3rd century is buried under the village, but a portion of the eastern edge and ditch can be seen. Take a footpath on the northern end of the current bridge.
Arnside was a tiny fishing village until it grew as a holiday destination in Victorian times. It is located on the estuary of the River Kent on the north-eastern corner of Morecambe Bay, within the Arnside and Silverdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is predominantly residential. There's a small pier, a collection of shops and cafes, a couple of pubs and easy walks along a modest promenade with lovely views of the Cumbrian mountains. The tides at Arnside go out a long way, and turn very quickly creating a tidal bore when the water floods back. It is also highly dangerous to venture onto the sands. Nearby Arnside Knott, a limestone hill, provides woodland and open hillside walks and is famous for its views over Morecambe Bay - and its butterflies and flowers. On the Silverdale side of Arnside Knott is Arnside Tower, a Pele tower built as a defence against border (Scottish) raiders. The railway (Furness Line) between Lancaster and Carlisle via Barrow-in-Furness crosses the River Kent via the Arnside viaduct.
A limestone/sandstone hill offering grassland, meadow and woodland walks, with great views over the Kent estuary and Morecambe Bay. Famous for wildflowers and butterflies. Nearby Jack Scout's cliffs are good for bird watching and sun sets. Limited parking. Signposted from Arnside.
The Battle of Clifton Moor took place on 18 December 1745 and was, many believe, the last battle on English soil. It depends on your definition of ‘battle’. The rumpus at Clifton Moor was more of a skirmish and formed part of the Jacobite rebellion of 1745, which culminated in the Battle of Culloden in 1746. The rebel Jacobite army was retreating from Derby and its rearguard met up with an advance part of the Government army that was in pursuit. 10 Government troops were killed and 12 rebels. The action delayed the Government force and facilitated the Jacobite retreat. There are a number of points of interest in the village of Clifton. Firstly, the Rebel Tree in the south part of the village marks the possible site of the fighting and is the traditional burial place of the Jacobites. There is a small plaque underneath the tree which, until fairly recently, was surrounded by fields; it is now surrounded by a small residential estate. Across the road, opposite the George and Dragon pub, is the Kelter Well – an old village well where someone has placed another memorial plaque to the battle. A memorial stone in St Cuthbert’s churchyard (north end of the village) marks the burial place of the Government soldiers. The cottage where the Duke of Cumberland spent the night is still there.
Apart from a gatehouse off Cartmel's village square, the Priory Church of St Mary and St Michael is all that remains of the priory founded in 1190 by William Marshall, Earl of Pembroke, and one of the premier knights of the realm. The Augustinian priory was dissolved in 1536, but, having nowhere else to worship, the village was allowed to keep the church. Hence, for a parish church, it is very grand - with an enormous east window and many fascinating features and fine monuments.
A Neolithic stone circle, about 97-100 feet (30 metres) in diameter, constructed around 3,000BC. Set against the backdrop of the Lakeland fells, it is a dramatic location and, on a lonely day, atmospheric. Castlerigg was one of the first scheduled ancient monuments in Britain in 1883. It is owned by English Heritage and cared for by the National Trust. You’ll find it about 1½ miles east of Keswick on a minor road, signposted from both the A591 and A66. There is limited parking in a lay-by. Take stout shoes – it can be wet and muddy.
The property is managed by the National Trust for English Heritage.
Often incorrectly described as a pele tower, this is a 15th C fortified tower that is the only surviving part of the manor house of the Wybergh family. It was plundered by Jacobites in 1745 before the Battle of Clifton Moor, the last battle fought on English soil. You can see where other parts of the building once joined the tower. there are no upper floors, but a spiral staircase leads to a gallery so that you can see the construction. The tower is in the middle of a working farm; park in the village, not on or over the farm access road.
Interesting monument erected in 1656 by the redoubtable Lady Anne Clifford to commemorate her final parting with her mother in 1616. There's an adjacent stone where money was left for the poor on each anniversary.
The monument is on the west-bound carriageway of the A66 where it is impossible to stop. Take the turning off the A66 to Brougham Castle, park on an unused section of old road and walk east along a path.
Dent is an attractive village of cobbled streets in beautiful rural Dentdale, on the western edge of the Yorkshire Dales. It has a history of self-contained independence, with roots possibly in an ancient Celtic Pennine kingdom ruled by a warrior king, Dunawt, from whom Dent gets its name. It is a farming community, though Dent Brewery (based in nearby Cowgill) is famous - its products are sold in the village's two pubs. Dent is also known for 'the terrible knitters of Dent' and as the birthplace of geologist Adam Sedgwick (1785-1873). An annual music and beer festival is held in June. There's a 12th century church and an interesting heritage centre and museum.
Kirkby Lonsdale’s Devil’s Bridge is a medieval structure with three graceful arches and is a scheduled ancient monument. It was replaced by Stanley Bridge as the main bridge carrying traffic over the River Lune along the main road (A65) between Kendal and Skipton in 1932 and is now a favourite with visitors – and weekend motorcyclists.