Last Updated on
St Michael's Baddesley Clinton is a short walk from Baddesley Clinton Manor House, through woods packed with snowdrops, daffodils and bluebells. The church was originally dedicated to St James, but changed - probably in the 19th century. The present building dates from 1305, but it is generally thought that a church stood on or near the site before Domesday (though the latter makes no mention of one). Do not miss the beautiful east window, the interesting rustic oak screen - or the simple grave marker for Nicholas Broome, just inside the south door (under the mat!). Once lord of the manor, he murdered a priest and built the tower of the church as a penance.
South Cadbury Castle is an Iron Age hill fort, overrun by the Romans in the 1st century and subsequently used by them, but then reoccupied and its defences restored in the sub-Roman period and in occasional use up to at least the 10th century. It is one of several places associated with the legendary King Arthur and suggested as a possible location for the mythical Camelot. The walls and defences are now wooded, but the size of them can be appreciated, and there is a wonderful view of Glastonbury Tor, on the mystical Isle of Avalon, from the top.
Take the pathway, Castle Lane, from the village; it is invariably muddy.
Wells is England's smallest city. The Cathedral Church of Saint Andrew, or Wells Cathedral, is dedicated to St Andrew the Apostle and is the seat of the Bishop of Bath and Wells. There has been a church on the site since 705AD, but the Cathedral itself was built between the 12th and 15th centuries. The astonishing west front displays the hierarchy of heaven - originally, it would have been painted in bright colours. Inside, the grace of the nave is enhanced by the beautiful scissor arches (pictured), installed to prevent a tower collapsing in the 14th century. Then there's the famous Wells Clock - said to be the oldest clock mechanism in Britain.
Outside, don't miss the Bishop's palace next door (especially the garden) and Vicars Close, a 15th century street - said to be the only original medieval street left in England.
Glastonbury Tor is a magical place, with links to Celtic mythology and the legend of King Arthur. Some say this conical hill, rising from the Somerset levels, is the Isle of Avalon. Now topped with the roofless tower of 14th century St Michael's church, there is evidence of other structures on the site since at least the 5th century and it has been used by man since prehistoric times. The Tor has distinctive, but unexplained, terracing on it. The last abbot of Glastonbury Abbey and two of his fellow monks were executed on the summit in 1539.
Post code is approximate. It is a walk to the top and there are no facilities. Parking in Glastonbury, cross the A361 and follow the path from either Dod Lane or the bottom of Wellhouse Lane. You can take a circular route.
Ruined Cistercian abbey founded in 1148, probably on a riverside location (the river is some way away now). It was a poor house and dissolved in 1536. Its last abbot, William Trafford, was hanged for taking part in the Pilgrimage of Grace. There's little to see now, but it is a quiet spot and it is possible to mentally reconstruct the buildings with the help of useful information boards.
Saltaire is a Victorian model village, built by textile magnate Titus Salt. The name is a combination of 'Salt' with 'Aire', the local river. Salt gave his workers considerably better living and working conditions than they had endured in Bradford, after he moved production to his new facility in 1853. Saltaire today is a living village, with shops, a park, canal side walks, all part of a World Heritage Site. The main feature is the old factory building, Salts Mill, which includes exhibitions, specialist retail outlets and a permanent gallery exhibiting the works of local Bradford artist, David Hockney.
Top Withens has long been thought of as the inspiration for the Wuthering Heights that Emily Bronte describes in her eponymous novel of 1847. Originally "Top of the Withens", Top Withens (or Withins) is a ruined farm thought to date from the second half of the 16th century. It was last inhabited in the 1920s, has been disused since the 1930s and is now completely ruined. In fact, ruined structures pepper the landscape all around. It is actually generally believed that the building Emily Brontë described bore no resemblance to Top Withens whatsoever; but, as a plaque placed on the wall by the Brontë Society says, “the situation may have been in her mind when she wrote of the moorland setting of the heights.” You can walk to Top Withens from a variety of directions and along the Pennine Way. The post code directs you to the village of Stanbury, from which there is a relatively easy path.
Malham Cove is an impressive limestone formation just north of the picturesque Dales village of Malham. It's an easy walk to the cove, but a slightly tougher haul up to see a textbook limestone pavement with its clints and grykes. The area is also popular with climbers and birdwatchers. Other walks and limestone features nearby, pubs and cafes in Malham. The post code is for the National Park Centre.
One of the Yorkshire Dale's Three Peaks and the lowest at 2,277 feet (694 metres). There are good paths to the top from most directions, the most popular route starting and ending in Horton in Ribblesdale. The post code given is that of the Crown Hotel in Horton. The summit of Pen-y-Ghent looks like some kind of brooding creature and involves a bit of scrambling up or down, depending which way you go. Along the route, divert to Hull Pot, a collapsed cavern said to be one of the largest holes in England. It is 300 feet (91 metres) long x 60 feet (18 metres) wide by 60 feet deep. Extreme care is needed here. Walking Pen-y-Ghent is a serious and often strenuous hike, necessitating proper clothing and footwear as well as a supply of water and something to eat.
The Three Peaks of the Yorkshire Dales (Whernside, Pen-y-Ghent and Ingleborough) are often tackled by the very fit for fun or charity in a time of +/- 12 hours covering a distance of approx 24 miles.
Limestone cave discovered in 1837 containing bones dating back 130,000 years, including elephant and hyena. It was used by man and a hibernating brown bear 11,000 years ago and for unknown purposes, possibly a shrine, in Roman times. Several other caves nearby. Post code is for Settle Market Place, one of several good starting points to walk to the cave.
NB You can only visit this cave by walking to it. The terrain is easy/rocky and fairly steep.