Antony Gormley's iconic steel sculpture near the A1 south of Gateshead. It weighs 200 tonnes, is 20 metres high and has a wingspan of 54 metres.
Art installation by the sculptor Antony Gormley. 100 cast-iron, life-size figures spread out along the foreshore and out to sea.
Dramatic statue of Edward I, unveiled in 2007 to mark the 700th anniversary of the King's death on nearby Solway Plain. There is a monument on the alleged site of his death, about 1.25 miles north of the village.
9 foot high steel statue by Ray Lonsdale depicting a British soldier immediately after hearing the news of the Armistice at 11 o'clock on 11th November 1918. Also known as 'Tommy', the nickname for British troops everywhere since the 18th century, the town of Seaham raised the necessary money to keep him.
Flatford Mill and the area around it inspired the artist John Constable. The National Trust has a small exhibition nearby and there are waymarked walks which take in the places Constable knew, and painted. Guided tours are also available. Or you can hire a boat on the river Stour.
There is no public access to Flatford Mill or Willy Lott's House (pictured).
Huge steel sculpture by Ray Lonsdale of a former miner who, as a young man, was one of the first Allied troops to enter Bergen-Belsen Concentration Camp.
The Guildhall Art Gallery was established in 1885 as a place to display the City of London's extensive collection, but was destroyed during the Blitz in 1941. It was rebuilt in 1999 and displays about 250 works at any one time, on a rotating basis. There is a great deal of Victorian and, as to be expected, London-themed, work. There is also a small, but very interesting, museum - and the Art Gallery additionally houses London's Roman Amphitheatre.
Eclectic collection of 8,000 objects on display, covering natural history, ancient Egypt, arms and armour, Scottish history and artwork. As well as world-class paintings by Dutch masters and French impressionists, the art collection includes 'the Glasgow Boys' and Salvador Dali's Christ of St John of the Cross.