Not long ago, in the great scheme of things, Witley Court was a Palladian mansion with a staff of over 100 servants, where the great and the good - including the Prince of Wales (Later Edward VII) attended lavish parties. Jewellery was hung from Christmas trees for lady guests. In 1937, it was burnt to a shell in an accidental fire. Its ruins echo with the past and its ornate gardens, including two astonishing fountains, have been lovingly restored. The Perseus and Andromeda fountain, in particular, needs to be seen in action - it is 'fired up' at particular times. There are also woodland walks, lakeside views, places to picnic and a play area for kids.