This is the church of Inner and Middle Temple, two of England’s four ancient societies of lawyers, the Inns of Court. The Church was built by the Knights Templar, the order of crusading monks founded to protect pilgrims on their way to and from Jerusalem and is in two parts: the round and the chancel. The round church - famous for its effigies of knights - is one of very few in Britain (there are just 4 medieval round churches still in use in England) and was consecrated in 1185 by the patriarch of Jerusalem. It was designed to recall the holiest place in the Crusaders’ world: the circular Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. The church - and indeed the whole Temple area - exudes history.
Pedestrian entrance off Fleet Street, opposite Chancery Lane.
Administered by Temple authorities.