The evocative ruins of Sweetheart Abbey, a Cistercian house. It was founded by Lady Dervorgilla de Balliol as ‘New Abbey’ in 1273, in memory of her dead husband, John. The name evolved to ‘Sweetheart’ in honour of the husband and wife. John and Dervorgilla de Balliol were a powerful pair, and parents of the John Balliol who was, albeit briefly, King of Scotland. John Balliol senior is also credited with founding Balliol College, Oxford.
There's a good cafe, Abbey Cottage, next door.
Sweetheart Abbey is on the A710, about 7 miles south of Dumfries.