Last Updated on
Stansted Park is a grand house and estate of 1800 acres with formal gardens, an arboretum, maze, light railway and other attractions. Originally part of the medieval Royal Forest of Bere, a house was built here in 1327 - a fragment survives as part of the chapel. A house was built in the 17th century on the site of the present one by the Earl of Scarborough, The estate was inherited by the 2nd Earl of Halifax in the 18th century, passing through various hands. A fire in 1900 destroyed the house, which was rebuilt in 1902. It came into the hands of the Earl of Bessborough in 1924 and is now run as a charitable trust.
Photo: Simon Burchell via Wikimedia.