Last Updated on
St PAUL’S, KNIGHTSBRIDGE
St Paul's church Knightsbridge is an elaborate Victorian church, the first in London to champion the ideals of the ‘Oxford Movement’ – the so-called ‘Tractarians’ who sought to restore a sense of Catholicism to the established Church of England. The building was consecrated in 1843, and its features include iron columns and balcony supports, a striking rood screen and reredos and an unusual series of tiled panels around the walls of the nave.
During WW2, the church was used by the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry (FANY). A memorial on the outside of the north wall commemorates 52 FANYs who died on active service in World War II, carrying out secret intelligence work for the Special Operations Executive in occupied countries as well as providing transport drivers for the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS).