St NICHOLAS, Moreton
St Nicholas Moreton is world famous for the unusual engraved glass windows by Laurence Whistler and for the grave of Lawrence of Arabia (soldier-philosopher T E Lawrence) in the nearby cemetery, following his funeral in the church. The church was originally dedicated to St Magnus Martyr, Earl of Orkney (why?), but this was changed to St. Nicholas in 1490. A German bomb on 8 October 1940 extensively damaged the church, blowing out all the glass. Created as part of the refurbishment following the war, the 13 engraved glass windows (1955-85) are by Sir Laurence Whistler, who revived glass engraving in the 20th century. Lawrence of Arabia had a bolt-hole at Clouds Hill nearby and was killed on his motorcycle just along the road from it in 1935.