Last Updated on
St JOHN the BAPTIST, Tunstall
The tiny village of Tunstall has had a church since at least the 11th century, though its current one dates from the 13th and was largely rebuilt around 1415 by Sir Thomas Tunstall, with further restorations in the 16th and 20th centuries. A mutilated effigy in the church is thought to be of Sir Thomas.
The Bronte sisters attended Tunstall church in the 1820’s whilst at the nearby Clergy Daughters’ School in Cowan Bridge.
In 2015, a painting which had hung in the church for 200 years was found to be a masterpiece by 16th century Venetian artist Francesco Montemezzano, worth more than £100,000.