The fairly remote and sometimes muddy ruins of Shap Abbey will be found some distance from Shap itself, along narrow minor roads adjacent to a farm and beside the river Lowther. It's a lovely spot. Shap was an abbey of the Premonstratensian order, known as 'the white canons' because of the pale habits they wore. It was founded c1200 by Thomas, son of Gospatric, a local baron. It was a small community, quite wealthy, raided by the Scots in the 14th century and dissolved by Henry VIII in 1540. The impressive 15th century tower dominates.