The ruins of Ruthven Barracks stand on a huge mound. They were built on the site of an earlier castle by George II’s government in the early 1700s, after the failed Jacobite uprising of 1715. The troops stationed there were to maintain law and order and enforce the Disarming Act of 1716. The barracks saw action twice. A 300-strong Jacobite attack failed to take the barracks in 1745, but a more heavily-armed attack the next year forced the barracks’ surrender. The Jacobites rallied here after their defeat at Culloden in 1746.