Last Updated on
QUAKER GARDENS, Islington
Also known as Quaker Garden Bunhill Fields, this is the remaining portion of a Quaker (Society of Friends) burial ground, in use between 1661 and 1855 and containing some 12,000 unmarked burials, including that of the Society's Founder, George Fox (1624-1691). Reduced by development, the area is now a garden, with a playground attached, and adjacent to a Quaker Meeting House - the remains of buildings destroyed by bombing. The garden is maintained by the London Borough of Islington, whose website wasn't feeling well when this record was created.