Last Updated on
Postman's Park opened in 1880 on the site of the former churchyard and burial ground of St Botolph's Aldersgate. It was popular with workers from the old General Post Office nearby - hence its name - and is home to the unusual Watts Memorial to Heroic Self-Sacrifice. G F Watts (1817-1904) was a painter and philanthropist who proposed a park commemorating 'heroic men and women' who had given their lives attempting to save others. The result is an installation at the park consisting of glazed tablets containing bare information about dramatic acts in which ordinary people - men, women and children - perished trying to save others.