MAGNA CARTA, Runnymede
The traditional spot where King John and his barons agreed Magna Carta (the Great Charter) on 15th June 1215 is marked by a memorial commissioned by the American Bar Association , built in 1957. It is in the custody of the Magna Carta Trust under the chairmanship of the Master of the Rolls, the head of civil justice in England and Wales. The memorial is inscribed “To commemorate Magna Carta, symbol of freedom under the law” and it is surrounded by English oak trees. Unveiled on 15th June 2015 by Prince William is a new memorial, a sculpture by Hew Locke called ‘The Jurors’, consisting of 12 bronze chairs, each with a story to tell, around an invisible table.