KATYN MEMORIAL, Cannock Chase
Memorial in a peaceful woodland clearing to the than 4,500 Polish men murdered by the Soviet Union’s security police in Katyn Forest, near Smolensk, in 1940. The mass graves were uncovered by the Nazis in 1943. The victims, many of them with bound hands and still with their identity papers on them, had been shot in the back of the head. This memorial was unveiled in 1979 and is one of several memorials in the UK and around the world to the massacre at Katyn. It is about half a mile from the Commonwealth War Grave and German cemeteries.