Last Updated on
HASLAR ROYAL NAVAL CEMETERY
Also known as Clayhall Royal Naval Cemetery, this is the final resting place for some 1500 British sailors. It opened in 1859 and was the official cemetery for the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar, which once stood nearby. For some time, the route between the hospital and the cemetery was playfully labelled known as ‘Dead Man’s Lane’ due to the high number of funeral processions from the former to the latter. There are graves from both world wars here, as well as the graves of the men of the submarine “L55”, sunk by the Soviets in the Baltic in 1919. In one corner of the cemetery are the graves of 26 Turkish sailors.